Inflammation, Immunity, and Gut Microbiota Course Outline
Unit One: Inflammation and Massage
- Define and describe the types of inflammation.
- Define antigens and cytokines.
- Describe the link between inflammation and free radicals.
- Describe the impact of inflammation on each area of the body, as well as massage techniques that should be used or avoided when working with an inflamed client.
Unit Two: Gut Microbiota
- Define gut microbiota and explain how it is established and how it functions within the body.
- Establish the gut/ brain connection.
- Describe leaky gut syndrome and other ways gut microbiota may become imbalanced.
- Explain how massage can help maintain healthy gut microbiota.
Unit Three: Immunity
- Define innate and adaptive immunity and describe the process of an immune response.
- Define and describe the four types of hypersensitive reactions.
- Define autoimmunity.
- Establish the link between inflammation, gut microbiota, and immunity.
- Explain how massage therapy can benefit clients suffering from inflammation
Unit Four: Common Inflammatory Triggers and Protocols Used in Conjunction with Massage Therapy
- Describe common lifestyle and environmental factors that deplete healthy gut microbiota and contribute to inflammation.
- Establish that as a member of the client’s wellness team, the massage therapist should be aware of common protocols used to treat inflammation. Describe the protocols used in conjunction with massage therapy.